Brume license questions...

All about the core api and animation, input, sound, effect, collision and physics engines.
You can also post here your feature requests.

Moderator: Brume Dev Team

Brume license questions...

Postby jeskeca on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 am

The Brume3d license has always been unclear to me, as the source code contains no license and no-notice of copyright. I recently noticed on the sourceforge project, it lists LGPL as the license, but again the source contains no license and no copyright.

Would you consider officially releasing Brume3d under a less restrictive license, such as MIT, BSD, Apache, public domain, etc.... Or alternatively, release the code under the LGPL but specifically omit the (section 6) LGPL linking requirement?

As an author working on an online game, one of the most frustrating limitations of the LGPL is the requirement to provide binaries in a format which allows relinking with an updated version of the LGPL library (section 6 of the LGPL). This makes cheating and bot-preventing nearly impossible, as players can easily make a hacked version of the Brume library which allows them to "see" the 3d object data and bot the game.

How am I using brume?

I came across Brume3d years ago, and have tinkered with it on the sidelines for a project of mine. It seems development has been slow over the years, but it was still easier for me to use and understand Brume than Axiom (the main C# alternative as far as I can see). I believe Axiom is currently trying to convert from LGPL to MIT because of the limitations of the LGPL.

I don't know if Brume3d is even still under active development, or if there are any future planned releases. I'm posting to say there is at least one developer experimenting with it, and I'd very much appreciate a release under an artistic license such as MIT/BSD/Apache.
jeskeca
Brume Rookie

Re: Brume license questions...

Postby jeskeca on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:08 am

From the sourceforge project page, it appears Brume is currently LGPL...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brume/
jeskeca
Brume Rookie

Return to Technical discussion