A few questions

All about the core api and animation, input, sound, effect, collision and physics engines.
You can also post here your feature requests.

Moderator: Brume Dev Team

A few questions

Postby Lach on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Hello I'm Lach, leader of a team that is ambitious towards making games. We have been searching for a suitable engine to fit our needs, hopefully this is it and we can settle down and create our first game (A platformer).

Are there mininum requierements for making and playing the games, or does it depend on the type of game it is?

How are commercial games treated with this engine, is it possible?

What are the supported models and textures?

Well, thats it for now, thanks.

Lach.
If you are interested in helping the team and it's projects, please contact me at Lachuille@hotmail.com.
Lach
Brume Rookie

Re: A few questions

Postby Silmaryls on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Lach,

I will try to answer your questions.

Lach wrote:Are there minimum requirements for making and playing the games, or does it depend on the type of game it is?

Well your question is not really precise but I will answer that each type of game have different requirements so it's not really easy to design an engine for all sort of games. Instead you will have to add you own optimizations/algorithms to make it usable...
If you are talking about environment requirements : .NET framework 2.0 must be installed and the games will only work with directx.

Lach wrote:How are commercial games treated with this engine, is it possible?

There are no commercial games written with Brume. In fact this engine is more an experiment I want to share with other people.
Now I'm quite sure that it's possible to make a commercial game with Brume. The limit is the time you can spend in optimizing your code and optimizing/debugging/enhancing Brume (I have limited time for this but some people managed to make samples with GTA for instance which is a good start...)

Lach wrote:What are the supported models and textures?

Supported models are actually .X files (pretty limited compared to professional production pipelines). But you can still make your own reader (like it was done for the GTA .dff meshes)
Texture formats are all DirectX 9 supported formats : .bmp, .dds, .dib, .hdr, .jpg, .pfm, .png, .ppm, and .tga

Lach wrote:Well, thats it for now, thanks.

My pleasure !

Silmaryls
Silmaryls
Brume Team Member

Postby Lach on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:09 am

Ah thankyou once again.
A few more questions, sorry, hehe.

So, your saying the system requirements vary from the projects I make? For example, if we create a simple 2d platform, will it need shader to run?

Where can I download pipo 2d?

When I downloaded the Compiled version of Brume, I ran it but recieved a video error,Image
Any clues to whats wrong with this?

What game genres can this engine run (Platformers, ORPG, FPS..ect.)?

Can the engine run 2d and/or Isometric games?

I'm working off of the open source but it seems like I have troubles compiling it, do you mind giving an explanation to how it's done?

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions ^-^

Lach.
If you are interested in helping the team and it's projects, please contact me at Lachuille@hotmail.com.
Lach
Brume Rookie

Postby Silmaryls on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi Lach,

Lach wrote:So, your saying the system requirements vary from the projects I make? For example, if we create a simple 2d platform, will it need shader to run?

Brume 1.6 can work whithout any shader just using fixed pipeline. You can look at Ice Cube, the game was made using Brume & Pipo.
You must be aware that this situation will change with next release : there will no longer be fixed pipeline support.

Lach wrote:Where can I download pipo 2d?

On the sourceforge website.

Lach wrote:When I downloaded the Compiled version of Brume, I ran it but recieved a video error,Image
Any clues to whats wrong with this?

Yes I also encountered this problem on some configs (Exception on AVIStreamGetFrameOpen). It seems to be a codec problem. Can you try to replace the video in the folder Data\Internal\brume_addons\brume_videos\ with this one : http://chrisk.free.fr/brume_files/video ... _stack.avi
Tell me if it helps (I just changed the encoding to xvid codec)

Lach wrote:What game genres can this engine run (Platformers, ORPG, FPS..ect.)?

Brume is a generic engine so all games can be made with it. But keep in mind that it is not optimized for any type.

Lach wrote:Can the engine run 2d and/or Isometric games?

Yes games like Ice Cube that has some 2D stuff (and also Pipo framework -> 2D GUI). But you will have to manipulate meshes to make 2D objects (Brume has a special HUD perspective that may help with that)

Lach wrote:I'm working off of the open source but it seems like I have troubles compiling it, do you mind giving an explanation to how it's done?

Are you using the CVS repository ? If so you should build the solution with .NET framework 2.0 and DirectX 9 managed runtimes.
If you are using SVN....this is normal ! This version is not stable (Brume 1.6 was released on the CVS code base)

Silmaryls
Silmaryls
Brume Team Member

Postby Gero on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:23 pm

There are no commercial games written with Brume. In fact this engine is more an experiment I want to share with other people.
Now I'm quite sure that it's possible to make a commercial game with Brume. The limit is the time you can spend in optimizing your code and optimizing/debugging/enhancing Brume (I have limited time for this but some people managed to make samples with GTA for instance which is a good start...)

That's not right. I was making a commercial game but I am switching to OGRE since Brume has no 1.6.x maintaince releases and I think Silmaryls is not interested in doing so. Also switching from fixed pipeline to shader based is an arguement because
many people I program for don't have DX9 capable graphics hardware especially they don't want to upgrade to Vista and DX10 for my games ( see next Brume release )
Gero
Brume user

Return to Technical discussion