Bone Animation and 3dsMax

All about the core api and animation, input, sound, effect, collision and physics engines.
You can also post here your feature requests.

Moderator: Brume Dev Team

Bone Animation and 3dsMax

Postby Mast10 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:46 am

Good day again..

I have created a model with bones in 3dsMax and I was wondering if Brume supports bone animation. And if it does can you please explain me how to do it?

btw

Thanks for your quick responses on my previous posts.

regards.
Matthijs
Mast10
Brume Rookie

Re: Bone Animation and 3dsMax

Postby Silmaryls on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi,

Yes Brume supports software bone animation (skinning). In release 1.6 it can only play .x files so you will have to convert your mesh with a 3DS exporter (like panda exporter or deep exploration).
In next release software skinning will be replaced by hardware skinning and there will be a 3DS exporter for bones/skeletons.
Silmaryls
Brume Team Member

Postby Mast10 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:44 am

Hi thanx for your reply,

I downloaded panda exporter for 3ds max and exported my animation

however at this point the game refuses to run,
All i get is:

{"Index was outside the bounds of the array."}

at Brume.Brume.Play()\r\n at AnimationTest.Program.Main() in C:\\Documents and Settings\\Psycho Robotico\\Bureaublad\\BoardIt\\AnimationTest\\AnimationTest\\Program.cs:line 25\r\n at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)\r\n at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)\r\n at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()\r\n at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)\r\n at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()"

As when i dont export bones and animations with the mesh it works smooth.

Should i only export the animations or the bones as well or are one of my settings wrong?

regards ..

Matthijs
Mast10
Brume Rookie

Postby Silmaryls on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Matthijs,

Well it's possible that panda is wrong with animation exporting (depending on your model).
I always test my meshes with old DirectX Mesh Viewer (you can get it with old SDKs or here)
If it works there it should work in Brume. If not, the export is buggy.
In the latter case you should try other .X exporters (DeepExploration is a good choice but it's not free). You can also try to fix the file yourself if you have some .X format knowledge (export in text format and compare with Brume's demo meshes like dragon or tiny that also have bone animations).

Silmaryls
Silmaryls
Brume Team Member

Postby Mast10 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51 am

Oke by using deep exploration i have been able to export the mesh quite good but now another problem occured.
When I watch the animation in deep exploration it works fine but when i export it I can see the bones move and the skin does nothing.
Any idea?
Mast10
Brume Rookie

Postby Silmaryls on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Well sounds strange, how does it play in mesh viewer ?
Have you tried to tweak deep exploration export options ?
Silmaryls
Brume Team Member

Postby Mast10 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:39 am

I havent tried to tweak export options of deep exploration yet.
I will try to mess witch that a little.
In the mesh viewer it shows a frozen skin( in the startposition of the 1st animationframe) and the bones do the animation(you only see the biped move)
Mast10
Brume Rookie

Return to Technical discussion