Brume-like toolkit with OpenGL Mac/Windows support...SimpleS

All about the core api and animation, input, sound, effect, collision and physics engines.
You can also post here your feature requests.

Moderator: Brume Dev Team

Brume-like toolkit with OpenGL Mac/Windows support...SimpleS

Postby jeskeca on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:07 am

I'm writing to say thanks for Brume3d!

I know Brume3d hasn't been updated in some-time. I'm posting to throw a big thanks out to Silmaryls for developing and releasing it. Back when I started using it (in 2008?), I found it the easiest C# 3d engine to get up-and-running. I've used it primarily for self-education, learning how an engine works by trying to build a simple game prototype. That prototype is still not a game, but I've learned quite a bit in the process. I've recently removed Brume3d from my prototype, mainly because of the LGPL license, as I prefer truly-free MIT/Apache or public domain licenses. However, Brume3d was instrumental in my learning process -- So thanks very much!

Today, if you are looking for a "ready to roll" C# friendly 3d game engine, there are some fairly mature options.. including Unity, Irrlicht, and Axiom. Also, the big new C++ engine on the block is Unreal Engine 4, which while commercial, is very affordable.

If, however, you are looking for a small educational 3d engine, because you want to get your hands dirty, I've released source-code for my dirt-simple Brume replacement into the public domain. It doesn't have all of Brume's features, but like Brume it's pretty small and easy to understand. Because it using OpenTK/OpenGL instead of Direct3d, it runs on both Mac and Windows. It's called "SimpleScene", because it's mostly just a C# 3d scene manager -- not really an engine.

https://github.com/jeske/SimpleScene

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/798 ... and-OpenTK
jeskeca
Brume Rookie

Return to Technical discussion